Banks and bank-like fintech companies do not understand different address formats, especially one of the address schemes used in Bulgaria

 Many bank and bank-like fintech apps are designed with terrible UX.

Because they assume the standard address format with a name of a street and a number of a house.

In many cases the address is different.

For example, my address have this format:

  • Name of a residential complex
  • Number of the block
  • Number of the entrance
  • Number of the floor
  • Number of the apartment

My address is not known with a name of a street. Coincidentally, the street where the entrance to the block I live is located has a name (displayed on Google Maps). But this name is not written anywhere on the street. I don't remember the name of the street because no one expects me to know it (taxi drivers need to know the name of the residential complex, the number of the block and the number of the entrance).

No one is receiving their mail with a name of a street in their address in my neighborhood. 

The Bulgarian bank TBI Bank is requiring me to write a field with the name of a street (nevertheless I wrote the name of my residential complex). This does not make sense and is an indication for not understanding the address schemes in Bulgaria.

It does not make sense to force users to write the name their street. In some cases they will write "noname street" which confuses the postman (if the app does not ask for another address to be used only for addressing the letter with the debit card). Also writing a street in a neighborhood where the addresses are not known by their streets is confusing.

Revolut accepts a different address to be used for the debit card delivery. So I have one address with Latin letters (the "billing address") and one address written in Cyrillic letters,  understandable by the postman who delivers the envelope.

Wise also accepts a different delivery address and accepted my address written in Cyrillic letters (for the purpose of the debit card delivery).

This is not the case with other apps. For example in Vivid Money my address for the delivery of the card is also my billing address. So I have to be careful to write the postal code correctly (not in a way it's written in my proof-of-address documents). My proof-of-address documents have a code 9000 (the postal code of my city). Because the postal code is automatically chosen by the software issuing the utility bills. The postal code of my residential complex is similar to the postal code of the city with one digit difference. When I am writing a "billing address" I am writing the postal code to match the proof-of-address document I have (utility bill) to be able to verify my address if needed. On my bank statements I also have my city's postal code (instead of the more specific postal code of my neighborhood within the city).

It's unknown in advance how the address will be printed in the envelope when I type the number of my apartment or the number of my house or the number of my building. (I don't live in a house and when the number of the house is mandatory I can't fill out this field in a meaningful way.)

In some cases the address is cut before printing and some of the details on the right are missing. This happened with Vivid Money. The number of my apartment were not printed 

In other cases the number of the building is written after the first address line. I learned this after I received the letter with the card. This is the case with Curve. The address is printed like this:

[line 1] [Building number]

[line 2]

On Monese there is a suggestion that the "house number" will be written before the "street" details. So my address may look like on the envelope like this (it's displayed like this in the preview before the confirmation):

No house number in the address rc NameOFmyResidentialComplex bl 123 entr 9 fl 9 apt 9

I can't confirm this because I am not ready with my account yet.

Strangely Monese do not accept dots in the address and accept words in the field for the house number.

I was going to edit my address after my account verification if needed. By my account was not verified without specifying the reason why. I suspect it's the quality of the photo of my ID card, I should waited for tomorrow to make it on a daylight.

The instructions about how to address letters in English version of Bulgarian Post is strange. They require to write a semicolon after the name of the street or boulevard and write "Str." or "Blvd" afterwards:

However, the best practice in my opinion is to write the address in the Bulgarian format (in a way it's written with Cyrillic letters) with a Latin transliteration according to the Bulgarian standard for transliteration. Usually I am using this method when my address is expected to be written on an envelope.

Here is how Bulgarian Post recommends to write the address when it contains a name of a street or a name of a boulevard.

When the address is written the number of the house is after the number of the street (not before).

When a residential complex with a block number format is used the number of the block is after the name of the residential complex, not before.

Comments